Salmonella contracted by a holidaymaker in Gran Canaria has led to long term bowel problems prompting her to make a claim for compensation. 32-year-old Stacey Sewell from Warrington, contracted the illness while on holiday at the four star Hotel Rio Waikiki in Playa del Ingles in June 2008. The mother of 2 young boys, then aged seven and five, was left bed-bound after contracting the illness at her all-inclusive hotel. She was holidaying with her young family and her parents. Her two-week break was ruined after contacting the bug.
‘Became so severe she had to give up her job’
Holiday operator, Thomas Cook, has been ordered to compensate former care worker Mrs Sewell after it was judged that the illness occurred after eating food being served at the hotel. It was revealed that Mrs Sewell had been suffering from colitis, a bowel condition, for which she had been taking medication. Upon returning from her holiday, she was taken to hospital as an emergency where she was put on a drip for four days. Following the salmonella, her bowel condition became so severe that she had to give up her job as she was experiencing so much pain.
A hearing learned that because of the salmonella event, Mrs Sewell, who was going into remission with her colitis episodes, had been diagnosed with a further complication of post infective irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) caused by the salmonella, which may eventually lead to her having to have her bowel removed.